The video, images and information on this page has been kindly supplied by Richard Brigham of York Past & Present
New Earswick – A History in Pictures
A collection of images and annotations
The Folk Hall in New Earswick was built in 1906 and cost 2 278 15s 1 1/2d. It was designed by Raymond Unwin (who was also responsible for the design of the houses and streets in the village) and was built in direct response to the inadequacy of the Assembly Rooms for public worship. Prior to the construction of the hall two houses, known as the “Earswick Assembly Rooms” had been allocated and used as a village centre. The agreement had been that the Trust would provide the buildings rent-free and the residents would be responsible for the upkeep and all expenses of heating and lighting. This arrangement continued for the folk hall and all other buildings provided for social purposes. The community was also responsible for employing a caretaker. The Folk Hall was officially opened in October 1907. In the opening address attention was drawn to the hall as a centre of worship with the Trust’s hope that this would obviate the need for a number of different places of worship. However, as early as 1911 there was a request for a site for a Wesleyan Chapel
The Folk Hall in New Earswick was used both as a central place of worship and as a meeting place for all the societies and groups which the residents took part in. This picture shows the Girls Club and was probably taken in about 1917. The young women are engaged in a vaiety of occupations including knitting, sewing, drawing and practicing first aid. At this time many such clubs were dominated by activities geared towards the support of the troops engaged in the First World War.
A number of social clubs and groups were based at the Folk Hall in New Earswick. It was also used to continue the tradition of adult education which the Rowntrees were so committed to. The societies were to reflect the interests of the residents as this group of men playing snooker illustrates.
The shopping center in New Earswick is on Hawthorn Terrace. The first shop had been the Co-op which was built in Station Avenue in 1908 with the Post Office next door.
The gardening class was an important part of the studies for the children of New Earswick school. The value of nature study was also stressed and practiced throughout the school.
This house on Hawthorn Terrace forms part of one of the terraces designed by Raymond Unwin to provide high quality rented accommodation for working families. The houses were planned with economy in mind which meant providing adequate living space whilst limiting the total floor space. This was a difficult juggling act whilst also providing three bedrooms and a low rent!
The kindergarten of New Earswick school are pictured here at their lunchtime. The teachers pictured here are thought to be Miss Pritchard and Miss Ashford.
These four children are pictured in the science room at New Earswick Primary School in 1917. They are Edith Neal, Doris Powell, Cyril Charlton and John Skelton (from left).
Joseph Rowntree’s plans for the model village of New Earswick meant that houses were built in terraces of uneven lengths. They were designed to provide the maximum amount of living space for a minimum rent. Originally the outsides of the houses were colourwashed but the Rowntree Village Trust abandoned this in 1904.
This woman is walking along Station Avenue towards the Folk Hall in New Earswick. 1930’s
This image shows the street decorations which were created in New Earswick to celebrate the visit of the German Garden City Association. The visit generated much civic ceremony in York – William Hayes sold 36 dozen copies of the postcard of this view.
These houses, nos. 1, 3, 5 and 7 Station Avenue, were built in 1905. The first tenants, in 1906 were, at no. 1, Mr Pattie and, at no. 5, Mrs Jageer, her sons Edgar and Cyril and Miss F. Patterson. Once a year a barrier was placed across the entrance to Station Avenue to maintain legal privacy of access. On that day, the 1st of June, anyone wishing to pass with a vehicle had to pay a toll of 1d. This was because the avenues were private roads.
A Social Gathering
New Earswick shops, when they were first built in the ’40’s.